26 Jan New Year Reception
New Year Reception 2019
The International Propeller Club of the U.S., International Port of Piraeus, held its Annual New Year’s reception with the good luck cutting of the traditional Greek “vasilopita” for 2019 at the Grande Bretagne Hotel in Athens, Greece, on Saturday, January 26, 2019.
This year’s traditional New Year Pitta Cutting Ceremony of the Propeller Club, Port of Piraeus was attended by over 190 distinguished guests. Each year educational scholarships are awarded to meritorious students of Maritime Academies, Universities and Colleges and charitable donations are extended to renowned foundations and philanthropic organizations.
Among the esteemed guests were Vice-Admiral Stamatios Raptis, Chief of the Hellenic Coast Guard, HN. Commander in Chief of Hellenic Fleet, VADM Cpt. Athanasios Dounis, 1st Deputy Commandant of the Hellenic Coast Guard, Vice Admiral Ioannis G. Pavlopoulos, General Secretary of Shipping & Island Policy, Mr. Dionysios Temponeras, and General Secretary of Ports Port Policy & Maritime Investment, Mr. Christos Lampridis.
The Club was also honored with the presence of Mr. George Pateras, President of the Hellenic Chamber, Mr. Antonis Stelliatos, President of the Hellenic Professional Yacht Owners Association, Mr Andreas Potamianos, the President of Epirotiki Lines, Mr. John Sahinis, President of the Fraternity of Athenian Hydriots, Mr. Alexandros Costopoulos, Board Member of the Hellenic American Chamber of Commerce, and Mr. Ioannis Plakiotakis, and Mr. Giorgos Koumoutsakos from the ‘Nea Dimokratia’ political party.
Following the video “It’s in Our DNA” at the commencement of the ceremony, Mr. Xiradakis, the President, expressed much appreciation to all in attendance and emphasized the importance of this yearly event, as sponsorships, and charitable donations are made to various philanthropic and educational institutions in order to support the sustainability of these organizations and facilitate their valuable missions. He also stated, that through the scholarships awarded, the Propeller Club, Port of Piraeus, furthers one of many of its goals, that is to reward and promote excellence in the shipping sector and industry.
Having concluded his speech, Mr. Xiradakis, ceremoniously granted the donations and scholarships to the following institutions:
1. The Donation to ELEPAP was received by Ms. Marianna Moschou, President of ELEPAP.
2. The Donation to “HAMOGELO TOU PAIDIOU” was received by Mr. Kostas Yannopoulos, President of the Foundation.
3. The ‘MARIA P. TSAKOS’ Scholarship was granted to Mrs. Evangelia Tsouri, the best performing student of Livaneio Lyceum of Kardamyla, Chios.
4. The Propeller Club Scholarship was awarded to Mr. Ahmed Imptisam who was the best graduate student of the University of Piraeus.
5. The Propeller Club Scholarship was awarded to Mrs. Aikaterini Giannioti, the best performing graduate of the University of the Aegean.
6. The Propeller Club Scholarship was awarded to Mrs. Pavlina Karytinou the best performing student of The American College of Greece.
7. The Propeller Club Endowed Scholarship was awarded to Mr. Spyros Panagiotaras, the best performing student of The American College of Greece
8. The Propeller Club Scholarship was awarded to Cpt. Iakovos Nafpliotis, the best performing graduate of The Merchant Marine Academy of Aspropyrgos.
9. The Propeller Club Scholarship for the FULBRIGHT Foundation was received by Ms. Artemis Zenetou, Executive Director.
10. The Propeller Club scholarship to the American Farm School, Thessaloniki, was received by Mrs. Dora Anastasiadou, Associate Director for Corporate and Foundation Relations, American Farm School.
11. The “ALBA Scholarships” granted by The International Propeller Club, Port of Piraeus and ALBA, The American College of Greece to the postgraduate students for the “MSc in Shipping Management Program”:
• Full Scholarship (100%)
– Mr. Nicholas Mousouroulis
• Partial Scholarship (30%) to:
– Mrs. Helen Vamvakinou,
– Mr. Antonios Chatzaras,
– Mrs. Eleftheria Kyriazi,
– Mr. Marios Lianos